Outdoor Learning in the Primary School Crash Course
Outdoor Learning in the Primary School
20th September 3 – 4 p.m. FACE TO FACE
Venue: Carlow Educate Together N.S, Athy Road, Carlow Town.
What better place for learning about the environment than in nature itself? No need to go very far: a schoolyard, a garden or the local park can be the perfect location to keep working on this in a fun and safe way. Outdoor education is proven to be of vital importance in the promotion of health and well-being – both mental and physical. This course strongly aligns with the new Department of Education’s policy on Education for Sustainable Development and the SESE curriculum for primary schools.
This face to face and practical course is facilitated and created by local teacher, Susanne Keating. Her course is designed to help teachers
- explore and use their own school environment and outdoor spaces for teaching and learning
- take part in and examine a series of practical, adaptable activities outside.
- recognise the potential of a variety of outdoor spaces for teaching and learning
- identify and manage risk appropriately
- become enthusiastic and confident about using the outdoors for teaching and learning.
The course is going to be facilitated in Carlow Educate Together N.S where the school has successfully set up and maintained a number of outdoor learning projects such as an
- Extensive school gardens with various areas-Grow it Yourself
- School polytunnel-Grow it Yourself
- Parenting and Student After School Gardening Clubs
- Food education programmes-farm to fork for students and parents-cookery classes
- School chickens
- Outdoor classroom-amphitheatre style with seating-
- Most recently Geo Dome shelter feature
Susanne is a qualified primary school teacher with great experience in outdoor learning having travelled to countries for participation in CPD courses and workshops in Scotland, The Lake District, England, Italy and Spain. She recently qualified with ITC Level 3 Award in ‘Taking Learning Beyond the Classroom’ (ofqual.gov.uk)
Book now at https://bookwhen.com/cwedcentre/e/ev-sep6-20230920150000
Course notes: Participants are highly recommended to dress suitably in comfortable clothing and outdoor shoes. Course will take place indoors and outdoors.